Tuesday, November 1, 2016
Awards keep coming for Barangaroo Reserve
Barangaroo Reserve’s international reputation for excellence in design, engineering, landscaping and sustainability continues to grow with a handful of prestigious awards being bestowed on the new headland park.
More than a million people have visited Sydney’s newest harbourside reserve in its first year, confirming it as a ‘must see’ for locals and tourists alike.
“Barangaroo Reserve will touch and be touched by many people,” said the President of Engineers Australia Sydney, Dr Michael Myers, who bestowed the Reserve with their President’s Award.
“Barangaroo is by all measures an exemplar of the capacity and capability of engineers and also of what is possible.”
New awards for Barangaroo Reserve include:
- 7 October - the President’s Award at the 2016 Australian Engineering Excellence Award Sydney. The award is selected by the Engineers Australia Sydney President for an outstanding project for both its engineering and innovative qualities.
- 7 October - the Sir Edmund Hambly Medal at the Institute of Civil Engineers Awards in London. The medal recognises an engineering project that makes a substantial contribution to sustainable development.
- 7 October - the 2016 Illuminating Engineering Society’s Lighting Design Award of Commendation has been awarded to Barangaroo Reserve for its public domain lighting. The award acknowledges the designers’ achievements to minimise light pollution, energy usage and maintenance costs by using energy efficient LEDs and state-of-the-art dimming controls.
- 30 October - four awards at the LNA Master Landscapers Association’s 2016 Landscape Excellence Awards
- Open Space Parklands, Playground and Leisure Facilities
- Maintenance Commercial Parklands and Open Spaces
- Graham Ross Commercial Construction of the Year
- Graham Ross Commercial Maintenance Award
These new awards add to the list of honours received by Barangaroo Reserve to date including:
- 2015 Banksia Sustainability in Design, Build Award – Buildings, Landscapes and Infrastructure Projects
- Australia’s Project of the Year at the 2016 IPA National Infrastructure Awards
- Australian Institute of Landscape Architects (AILA) 2015 Parks and Open Space Landscape Architecture Award
- Architizer A+Award Jury Winner in the Landscape & Planning: Public Park
- World Architecture News (WAN) Waterfront 2015 Award
Watch a fascinating video of the design and construction of Barangaroo Reserve: